Jump to navigation Jump to search This article is about the chain of department stores. The Printemps stores focus on beauty, lifestyle, fashion, accessories, and men’s wear. Le Printemps PDF was founded in 1865 by Jules Jaluzot and Jean-Alfred Duclos. The original store was designed by noted architects Jules and Paul Sédille and opened at the corner of Le Havre and Boulevard Haussmann in Paris, France, on 3 November 1865.
Les bébés animaux naissent, les fleurs s’épanouissent et les abeilles butinent…Le printemps est de retour !
Avec Mes créations des quat’ saisons, découvre tous les secrets du printemps à travers plein d’activités : découpage, peinture, gommettes, coloriage !
The policies of Printemps revolutionized retail business practices. The store marked items with set prices and eschewed the haggling based on customer appearance that had previously been standard in retail shopping. In 1904, a near collapse of the business led to the resignation of Jules Jaluzot. He was succeeded by Gustave Languionie, who the following year announced the construction of a second store. This location, designed by architect Rene Binet, opened five years later and is famously dominated by a glass domed hall 42 meters in height, and a noted Art Nouveau staircase. By 1970, there were 23 Printemps locations and 13 Prisunic discount outlets. The oil-price driven French economic crisis of the early 1970s significantly threatened the Printemps business model.
In response, the firm was transformed into a limited corporation, with a controlling interest acquired by the Maus Frères, a Swiss holding company. The flagship Printemps store is located on Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, along with other well-known department stores like Galeries Lafayette. The figures of the Four Seasons on the façade were sculpted by French sculptor Henri Chapu. Jaluzot was replaced as owner in 1900 by Gustave Laguionie, after the business came close to collapse.
A remarkable feature of the Haussmann store is an elaborate cupola above the main restaurant in the store, installed during the 1923 reconstruction. In 1939, to avoid the risk that it would be destroyed in bombing attacks, the cupola was dismantled and stored at Clichy. The demining services found five sticks of dynamite in the toilet of the store. The FRA claimed this assassination attempt and demanded the withdrawal of 3,000 French soldiers deployed in Afghanistan. Printemps and its subsidiaries were acquired in 1991 by François Pinault and merged with other holding into Pinault-Printemps-Redoute, now Kering, the parent company of Gucci and FNAC.
In 1997, a complete renovation of the flagship store was completed. Qatari-controlled investment fund, announced it has bought Printemps. Printemps’ New Owner Ignites Retail Expansion ». Deutsche Bank Unit Sells Printemps Stores to Qatari Buyers ». Printemps Department Store Sold To Qatari Investment Fund ». French Court Rejects Bid to Block Printemps Sale ». Printemps sale to Qataris cleared by French court ».