A large door on a garage that either opens by an electric motor or manually is a garage door. They are large enough to accommodate other vehicles and automobiles. Small garage doors are usually made in a single panel, whereas larger doors may be made in several jointed panels. To reduce motor or human effort required to operate the door, the operating mechanism is counter balancedto offset the weight. Some garage doors swing or slide horizontally. Doors are made of fiberglass, wood or metal and hence maybe insulated to prevent heat loss.
Garage doors cause property damage and injury in many ways. Some of the most common causes of injury are pinch points, falling doors, or uncontrolled release of spring tension. The two main components of a garage door are the opener and the door itself. Repairs are fairly simple when having trouble with your garage door. Some of the tips are:
- Quick fixes:
Check the tracks and rollers, and if you can’t able to recall when you last cleaned them, better give them a good cleaning or brushing by adding some lubricant.
- Noisy garage door:
Especially for those who sleep above or next to garage, noisy doors cause all kinds of problems. These can be fixed with a combination of replacing fewparts and the routine maintenance. With an adjustable wrench, tighten all nuts on the track and the door.
Old metal rollers as they roll up and down the metal track, will make a lot of noise. If the rollers look worn down, and if you identify this as the source of noise, replace the rollers.
- Frozen garage door:
Sometimes on the coldest days of the year, garage doors do freeze to the garage door. In order to break the connection and melt the ice, use a hair dryer. Even standard de-icing products will also work for this. Make sure to clear the snow or water or ice from the spot on the garage floor once the door is opened.
As the garage doors are equipped with garage door openers, the doors have become much safer when compared to the older garage door openers.
Here are few simple things or tips for the garage door maintenance:
- Give all hinges, roller tracks, latches and rollers a good squirt with a citrus based solvent. If you find the torsion spring rusty, wipe it with a little oil.
- After wiping everything clean, apply a light oil like 3 in 1 lubricant, to those parts.
- Try to soak the hinges or rollers in some kerosene if stuck, and use a small brush in order to make the kerosene work into the cracks. With the help of the steel wool remove the rust.
- Apply the lubricant to the full length to the garage door opener if operated by a drive screw or a chain.
- Make sure the garage door repair made of wood to be sealed or painted.
Some of the safety garage door tips are:
- Use a vacation lock security switch or unplug the door opener unit while on vacation
- Keep the garage door remote controls out of the reach of children.
- Learn the doors emergency release features through manual.
Hence garages are great for wide range of reasons like home projects, play, storages.